Thursday, March 25, 2010

Coming...in about 3 months

What to do about reading pre-press books? I love being on the cutting edge, but the downside is nobody will know what I'm talking about until the book is published, in this case: June.

Oh well, I will say something anyway. I'm reading Dear Money by Martha McPhee. It's about an award-winning woman novelist married to a sculptor. They are living and raising their two daughters in Manhattan, where they cannot afford the lifestyle to which she aspires. My first reactions were, "pretentious" and "who cares?" Yes, the writing is gorgeous, but I find it hard to get worked up about desire in the not-quite-rich and the almost-famous.

Happily, the plot has thickened and has caught my interest. It's clear things cannot end well, and that sets my teeth a bit on edge, but I will plow on none-the-less.

In case you're interested, I finished the Dexter book of last post quickly and happily. My "OMG" reaction to the crime melted away. I became inured to it and enjoyed Dexter's wordplay on it. A blurb on the cover called the book a "macabre masterpiece." I heartily agree. One more to go!

No comments: