Monday, March 22, 2010

Reading: Dearly Devoted Dexter

Finally back to my favorite serial killer, Jeff Lindsay's Dexter Morgan. I'm reading Dearly Devoted Dexter, the second book in the series. I love the Showtime series based on the novels, but the books give you a much better look at what is going on in Dexter's head. (I was delighted with the fourth and the first, when I read them, in that order.)  The descriptions of the Dexter's double life are fascinating, and much of the rest is just fun -- Miami's homicidal roadway traffic, Dexter' beautiful and foul-mouthed sister, Deb.

All that being said, the books are darker. The TV Dexter is a killer, but he's just so darn handsome and likable. In some ways he comes off as innocent who is naive about what makes the world go 'round: gossip and politics. The book Dexter is colder, more detached, less human. He seems to enjoy his "little hobby" of killing bad people more in the books.

Even so, I was a little surprised as the handiwork of the first crime depicted in this second book. It is sick and truly disturbing. It makes me feel a bit bad for raving about how much I love Dexter. It also makes me wonder about Jeff Lindsay. How did he come up with this? Never mind. Might as well ask how Stephen King comes up with his ideas.

I am enjoying the book; don't get me wrong. I just wonder if I am in for more than I realized.

No comments: