Friday, November 01, 2013

It's NaBloPoMo!

Last year I tried NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month); this year, I'm trying NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month).

I quickly found with NaNoWriMo that my idea for a novel was just that -- an idea. I enjoyed thinking of the background and giving my heroine attributes, but I did not like writing it. At all. 2000 words and done.

I believe that means the idea as not ready to become a novel. I also believe there's no point in trying to write 50,000 words that mean nothing. I could have written that many had I tried, but I couldn't imagine going back and panning for nuggets in what would surely be a deep and wide stream.

Or maybe I'm just lazy.

No, I don't believe that. I'm lazy, but not about writing. When I have something to write, I write it quickly and well. Fiction has not been my genre, and NaNoWriMo didn't change that.

Nonfiction? You got it. As you will see, if you look at this blog, it contains mostly book reviews, which I am still enjoying after eight years (the eighth anniversary of this blog will be December 5!). There are a few essays here as well. This month there will be more!


No comments: