Monday, August 23, 2021

'True Raiders' by Brad Ricca

True Raiders: The Untold Story of the 1909 Expedition to Find the Legendary Ark of the Covenant by Brad Ricca is a well-researched book. It is about the early 20th-century expedition to find the Ark of the Covenant that inspired the classic movie Raiders of the Lost Ark. The author provides a guide to the characters at the start and is thorough about his resources. Written like a novel, the book brings the topic to life, but I don't understand how it can be classified nonfiction. There were many negatives for me, such as too many characters and plotlines. I found the writing inconsistent, sometimes painting vivid pictures, sometimes getting lost in the weeds. The structure was also a hinderance to me; chapters jumped back and forth in time and from character to character, and I sometimes found myself confused by the connections, the thread of the narrative lost. I see that many reviewers on Goodreads enjoyed it more than I did, so your results may vary.

No comments: