Tuesday, March 16, 2021

'Project Hail Mary' by Andy Weir

Project Hail MaryProject Hail Mary by Andy Weir
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Fun science! I loved this book. (Until the end. Then, I'm not so sure, but what ride to get there.) Tons of science made interesting, and an ingenious way to tell the story.

I'm sure fans of Weir's The Martian will not be surprised at the level of science-based problem solving in this book. (I abandoned The Martian because I didn't want watch an astronaut starve on Mars. I quite enjoyed the movie, though.)

The structure of this book - of an astronaut who wakes up in space and doesn't know who or where he is - adds an element of mystery to the narrative, which might not have been so effective if it had been told in a linear fashion. We get the back story as his memories return.

[Small spoiler] I loved the alien life proposed in this book. I became quite attached to it, too. I would like to know how Weir chose his aliens, but I'm sure there is real scientific thinking behind.

My gripes are that the characters tend to be two-dimensional, and the ending doesn't quite stick the landing. Not to mention all the luck that makes the plot work, but that's fiction for you.

I am not a fan of hard science fiction, so I can't judge how Weir's work would sit with those readers. This book's style of plot-driven, science-laden storytelling is sure to have wide appeal and produce another hit for Weir.

No comments: