Sunday, September 23, 2018

Mini-review: 'Transcription' by Kate Atkinson

TranscriptionTranscription by Kate Atkinson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In general, I love Kate Atkinson's work. I really loved LIFE AFTER LIFE but didn't want to get into the same territory again with A GOD IN RUINS, so I didn't read it.

I had trouble getting into TRANSCRIPTION because I had just finished Dan Fesperman's SAFE HOUSES, also about spycraft and WWII. So, it took me a long time to read the beginning, and my being able to follow the plot and characters through time suffered for it.

Once I picked up TRANSCRIPTION and kept with it, however, I really enjoyed it. I love Atkinson's humor, provided through her heroine Juliet's divergent thoughts. (At one point Juliet wonders if anyone has every died from thinking too much.)

Keenly planned and masterfully executed, both the plot and writing are terrific. Readers who like to go from A to Z without detour may not enjoy it, but there's so much to like here for Atkinson's fans, readers of spy thrillers, and WWI fiction readers alike.

View all my reviews

No comments: